Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:20:32 -0700
From: JKerouac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: bmw list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: holding the strut shaft, removing the nut

Re: [UUC]  holding the strut shaft was:I screwed up....:
An alternative to vice-gripping the shaft is, and shade tree way to
change springs and struts, is:

     To make the locknut easier to remove, loosen the nuts before
jacking up the car so you have the car's weight loading the shaft
against the upper strut mount.  Then when you jack up the car, the
springs will unload gradually.  With the car jacked up and the strut
shaft retracted, there's room to remove the freed up spring.  Depending
on model, you have to 'unscrew' the spring coils from the retracted
strut shaft end.
     To make tightening the new nut easier, lower the car onto the
wheels before tightening the nuts past their plastic lockring.
If the nut is still sticking on either removal or installation, torch
the plastic lockring until it becomes tacky  Then it will turn off or on
easier.
     For reassembly, if you're reinstalling stock or some aftermarket
springs, compress the spring in a compressor and use at least six coat
hangers or 1/2"+ wide zip ties (Fry's sells them) to wrap the spring
coils tight.  This pre-loaded spring will be short enough so you can put
it in place on the strut's spring perch after installing the strut to
the control arm, and then extend the strut shaft up through the hole in
the upper strut mount to get the nut started on it.  Next, unload the
spring by cutting the hanger wires or zip ties and pull them out.  If
you're keeping the rubber spring perches, spray silicone on the rubber
to help the hanger wire or cut zip ties pull out easier.
     Thanks for this method to an old friend Bruce Lazaar, who departed
us in 1986 but imparted me with his knowledge about working on BMWs
until then.
Barry