Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 22:49:54 -0500
From: "Batt, Jeff (MED)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Dennis Wynne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 26 mile service 'test drive'  ...What the hell?

Chris - You have my sympathies...this sort of thing really sucks.  We all
appreciate your efforts to keep other forum readers well informed.  I'll add
in my 2 stories, hopefully someone can benefit from them....

Several years ago I had a twin turbo '93 Mazda RX-7...I took it in for
service to a Mazda dealer in the south hills of Pittsburgh.  I can't
remember the name, but it's the one on Rt19 South, a few miles north of
Washington, PA.  I had dropped the car off the night before, they worked on
it, and called me at 2pm to tell me it was done.  When I arrived after 5pm
to pick it up, I was pleased to see it parked in the shade (it was a sunny
summer day).  But I was really disappointed when I started it up that the
temp gauge was pegged - hotter than I had ever seen the gauge read.  I
opened the hood, and it was steaming...sort of strange for a car that had
been done and sitting in the shade for over 3 hours.  I immedately went in
to talk to the service mgr...who was gone for the day.  So I called him the
next day and got nothing but a rude "so what?"...

In about 1999, the tach in my 1995 M3 stopped working.  It was replaced
under warranty by Swope BMW in Louisville, KY - who assured me they would
just replace the tach (thus the speedometer and odometer wouldn't be
touched).  They lied, so when I went to pick it up that night after work, I
got into a car with 0 miles on the clock.  I went into complain and they
told me I "mis-understood" when I dropped off the car.  Disgusted, I left
only to find a guy getting into my car in parking lot.  I asked him what he
was doing and he told me he was "taking this used car home to try it out".
I rather enjoyed telling him to get away from my car.

In a way, I'm grateful to these places.  It was their piss poor service (and
a few other stealers) that inspired me to do as much of my own car
maintanence as I can.

-Battman