  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Friend Looking to Buy BMW

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:04:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Neil Deshpande <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Brandon:

My recommendation is that you use Bilstein Sport/HD
dampers (they both have the same damping rate for that
chassis, only the lengths are different and they both
work) and the stock springs.

However, from the front stock spring, cut off one coil
(DO NOT be tempted to cut off any more!) and use a
vise and heat to bend in the final coil end.  I think
the released spring coils are some 2.5" apart and you
need to match the bend-in of the original coil at
1.25" or something to get the spring to seat properly
in the perch.  I used a Home Depot torch to do this.
Nothing fancy.  You just vise the spring to the 1.25"
or a bit less and heat for about 10min, let it sit and
open it up and it will be OK.  Be careful you do not
nick other coils while cutting, of course.

With this setup and all new bushings (of course!) I
found the iC excellent as did pretty much anyone who
drove it.  It is about the same crispness as the E30
M3 spring/Bilstein Sport setup on the E30 coupes.

BTW, I tried 3 suspensions prior (all with new
bushings in place) before deciding this was it.  The
replacement of the subframe bushings on the iC is
crucial.

Neil Deshpande
<http://216.97.77.38/HTMLFiles/index.htm>

***

"Brandon T. Lindley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I figure it's about time to refresh some of the
suspension components in my '93 325ic -- she just
doesn't drive like she used to. I'm looking
for suggestions of particular spring and strut/shock
combinations that work well for the convertible.