Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:25:02 -0500
From: KMS- Brett Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Ivan Demkovitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: UUC Digest <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: Re: M62 leaking chain cover

You can't do the job accurately without the 0.7Nm torque setting.
Torque drivers are available from most of the tool companies, but you
might want to try and beg one out of your local dealer's tool room on
loan, as they approach $400.    The first M60 shortblock I did, I turned
in the tensioner by hand to see if I could gauge it right.  I then got
the special tool and found that I was about 4 threads off.  0.7Nm is a
lot tighter than it's number implies in this application.

When turning the engine, the chain needs to be correctly tensioned to
get accurate measurements before final assembly.

Brett Anderson
KMS