At Stardate 20030625.2101, Jan Coffey wrote:

> >This is exactly why the US is staying out of the ICC. The regulations are
> >not sufficient to guarentee that they will not be abused.
>
> Can you guarantee that someone who is given a trial by jury in the US will
> be given a *fair* trial? Can you guarantee that when, say, a child molester
> is on trial, the jury will base its decision solely on facts and completely
> ignore their own emotions? When a soldier is given a trial by jury, can you
> guarantee that certain people in the military and/or government will *not*
> be pressuring some people into voting "not guilty"?

The idea is that it is better for to criminals to go free than one inocent man be convicted.

That has nothing to do with the concept of trial by jury. The jury system doesn't have any more safeguards against an innocent man being convicted than our system has.

While this may not allways work in the US, it is still IMNSHAO :) much less likely than in ~many~ other countries,

Can you provide evidence for this? How is, say, a Dutch court more likely to convict an innocent man than a US trial-by-jury court?

and much better than that of the ICC.

Hard to tell, given the very few cases it has had to handle so far. Can you point at ICC cases where innocent men have been convicted for war crimes?

Jeroen van Baardwijk