--- Damon Agretto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ah. Rich is right. Did some research. The Social War
> was in the 90's. I was thinking of some of the
> conflicts between the Plebes and the Patricians
> (which
> didn't amount to armed warfare, so it would seem, or
> at least not in the same vein as the Roman Civil
> Wars). Nonetheless I couldn't immediately find any
> Roman-on-Roman armed conflicts before the Late
> Republic...

Wasn't that the time that led into the Gracci and then
Spartacus?

Oh, read what conservative columnist Thomas Friedman
(long a darling of the right) wrote at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/14/opinion/14friedman.html?hp

"I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I hear the
president and vice president slamming John Kerry for
saying that he hopes America can eventually get back
to a place where "terrorists are not the focus of our
lives, but they're a nuisance." The idea that
President Bush and Mr. Cheney would declare such a
statement to be proof that Mr. Kerry is unfit to lead
actually says more about them than Mr. Kerry. Excuse
me, I don't know about you, but I dream of going back
to the days when terrorism was just a nuisance in our
lives."