If you have dual-boot machines, why not try Ocaml + Emacs + tuareg-mode in
Ubuntu?

You can install tuareg-mode globally so that no one has to touch a .emacs or
know about it.  If it's the keyboard shortcuts that students are not used to,
they can 1) deal or 2) you can remap some common shortcuts and wrap it in a
shell script so they run Emacs-for-class instead of standard Emacs.
Personally, I think they should just deal.  A little exposure to a
non-Windows environment, a little broadening of horizons, all good stuff.

When I took a programming languages class at UIUC, that is how we learned
OCaml.  I found it quite easy to pick up.  Emacs has the best toplevel
integration with OCaml and it sounds like you want to make heavy use of it.

Peng

PS. I just looked at IDLE and Emacs + OCaml blows it out of the water.  I
swear IDLE is like a mini-subset of Emacs.  Even the keyboard shortcuts are
the same.  If you like IDLE, Emacs + OCaml can only be better.