As far as I see, there are two options:

1) Windows + Eclipse + OcaIDE

2) Linux.

The students know next to nothing about Unix. If I dive into using
Linux, then I might as well setup anonymous subversion access to source
code. They could use gedit for editing (it has ocaml syntax hilight
mode), and the shell for ocamlbuild. The only unresolved question is how
to deal with compilation errors.

The generation that I am getting is very small (maybe 10 students), so
this might be doable with such a small number.

I will think about it. Thanks for your suggestions.

By the way, Live CD is not really an option. I suspect the computer lab
computers are "protected" against that.

Best regards,

Andrej