On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Andrej Bauer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Once again I am teaching a course on theory of programming languages in
> which we will use ocaml to implement mini-languages. And once again I face
> the question: which programming environment should we use?

I used to use nedit + shell and it worked quite well.  I've got a good
syntax highlighting mode and some support scripts.  These days I've
switched to jEdit but I use much the same workflow.  It *is* possible
to use the "console" and "error list" plugins for jedit to build
programs and get automatic error message highlighting, but the OCaml
error format makes it a bit sub-optimal.  If you want to try it I can
tell you how to configure things.  You would still need to run the
toplevel in an external shell.

The nice thing about jEdit is that it's cross-platform and not quite
as bloated as Eclipse.

Also, using omake for your build system has some nice advantages.  The
'-P' flag causes the project to automatically rebuild when any project
file changes on disk.  After you fix a bug the next error message is
already waiting for you.

Cheers,
-n8