After teaching OCaml for two years, I personally suggest
* Ubuntu + GODI
* Emacs + Emacs-goodies (slightly customised to obtain tabs, I can send
you my .emacs) + Tuareg -- (Emacs is much better than XEmacs, at least
for this -- and the tabs are a tremendous help)
* OcamlBuild with a myocamlbuild.ml written by you.

Cheers,
 David

On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 13:30 +0200, Andrej Bauer wrote:
> Once again I am teaching a course on theory of programming languages in
> which we will use ocaml to implement mini-languages. And once again I
> face the question: which programming environment should we use?
>
> I have so far tried to use (under Windows)
> 1. cygwin + ocaml + XEmacs
> 2. Eclipse + OcaIDE
>
> The second solution worked better than the first, for the simple reason
> that XEmacs is a complete mystery to students. They really, really hate
> it. But even with the second soltion we had a lot of trouble, because
> Eclipse is really complicated, and OcaIDE is sort of experimental and
> not so good under Windows, so the whole setup was confusing and fragile.
>
> The requirements are very simple:
> 1. easy access to toplevel (with line-editing)
> 2. editor which can send stuff to toplevel, points to errors in source
> code, and is not Emacs.
>
> Any ideas what to do? We have dual-boot machines (Windows + Ubuntu).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Andrej

David Teller-Rajchenbach
 Security of Distributed Systems
  http://www.univ-orleans.fr/lifo/Members/David.Teller
 Angry researcher: French Universities need reforms, but the LRU act brings
liquidations.