It can't hurt to try to work with the author, and it's the only way
to get the current PDB file out of the database.  If you don't get the
response you want you can still go ahead and look for a venue to publish
your own interpretation.

   Having a paper to go with the model is not only a requirement of the
wwPDB rules but it makes the situation much clearer the someone wanting
to understand this protein.  Having a second model in the PDB w/o a
publication would not leave many clues to decide which model to use.

Dale Tronrud