Hi Trevor,
  Some of my colleagues came across a misinterpreted structure published in
Acta D., a couple of years ago.
They raised the issue with the editors of Acta D., who were most helpful in
getting the issue sorted out.

My impression is that the journals are the responsible for the papers that they
publish, and raising this type of issue with the journal editors initially -
may be the best way forward.

Best regards, Ben