On the subject of withdrawal of entries from the PDB, I just flag up another
interesting aspect.

Four years ago I was Visiting Fellow in a colleague's lab, and in the course of
the year I determined, refined and deposited 4 good structures, authored by me
and my colleagues who were part of the research.

Due to a scientific disagreement on the manuscript describing the structures,
my colleague wrote to the PDB and unilaterally withdrew the 4 entries, without
letting me know in advance nor consulting me and against my will.

When I wrote to the PDB to complain (i was the depositor) they answered:

"Thank you for your email. According to the wwPDB policy, if there is a case of
conflict between authors, the PI of the project makes the final decision. Since
Dr. <name omitted> is the PI for this project, we have to take his word as
final. Please see below the extract of the policy
(http://www.wwpdb.org/policy.html).

Please note, PDB cannot resolve any conflict between authors. This has to be
resolved by the authors."

My colleague has since re-determined, re-refined and re-deposited the
structures against the data taken from the crystals I grew (with his name as
the only author of all 4 entries0 and they have published the work without
granting me co-authorship on the paper. I wrote immediately to the journal and
they suggested that the Institute where I carried out the research carry out an
internal investigation. Which is ongoing.

It's all very well that all is done in good faith but sometimes on-trust policy
+ absence of a "court" to appeal to in case of misconduct are a rather
insufficient combination when it comes to PDB depositions/withdrawals.

with best wishes,

Pietro

best regards,
Sanchayita Sen
PDBe Depositions

Sent from my Desktop

Dr. Pietro Roversi
Oxford University Biochemistry Department - Glycobiology Division
South Parks Road
Oxford OX1 3QU England - UK
Tel. 0044 1865 275339