From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Why is it that so many people are blinded by  a venomous  hatred of the
> police, to the extent that everything else, common sense included, is
> blotted out?
> I am sure someone can answer this one.
>
> IG
>

> Maybe I can offer at least some insight on this :-)

Most "ordinary" people - ie those of the general public - do not take kindly to
the - what seems like at least - fairly constant drip of authoritarian attitude
from those employed to safeguard those ordinary people and their property (
partially by protection from crime and partially by law enforcement ).
I believe that this resentment - I wouldn't go so far as to call it a blind
venomous hatred, but there again I am not on the receiving end, so would not be
adamant on that - stems from perceptions , mainly but not always justified, that
the Police service are deliberately distancing themselves as a body from the
general public, as they are only too aware of the shortfalls in the service they
are currently providing, and appear unable to address this without politicising
ie demanding more and yet more "powers" with which they may tackle "easy" or
static targets whilst seemingly ignoring the real issues.
What, you will probably demand of me, are these "real issues" ? I have no finite
answer, but of one thing I am sure, they are constantly being obscured by the
smokescreens thrown up by both the politicians , media and the police themselves
- a pretty routine defense mechanism, but the smoke is wearing thinner and I
believe the public is becoming less tolerant of this attitude of "Don't confuse
me with the facts - these are the issues" especially when the issues are
continually drummed up as "facts".

It really boils down to trust. I readily appreciate things have changed in our
society during the last forty or fifty years, some for the better, but trust is
a commodity not lightly given and easily lost - and exceptionally difficult to
retrieve from a distance or from behind a smokescreen.

I for one, would dearly love to be able to advise my grandchildren as I was
advised by my grandparents - "If you get lost or need help in any way, you can
always trust a policeman" - unfortunately these days it's just an old-fashioned
romantic idea of those who lurk behind the radar traps and surveillance cameras
but rarely appear in person without two-tones and blues.

Strike any chords of recognition ? Come back into the human race before it
really is too late  - technology is not the answer to everything.

David M ( Sussex )

Don't forget - Sunday 18th March 2001 - Countryside March - be there !!!

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]