From:   "John Hurst", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Doesnt alter my own opinion that there are some people who should not be
>allowed near to any form of weapon, even though they have not been
convicted
>of any offence.

IG,
      Quite so. The Firearms Act of 1920 and subsequent amending legislation
have this in mind. Criminals, "weak minded" persons and juveniles are
excluded from lawful certification. Going back further, Article 7 of the
Bill of Rights acknowledges these restrictions also. That leaves the
majority who are entitled to possess arms for their defence, and for
sporting purposes.

During the passage of the Firearms (Ammendment) Act in 1997 the House of
Commons Library produced a briefing document, Research Paper 96/102 dated
8th November 1996

Page 75 quotes the case of Bowles v. Bank of England confirms that the Bill
of Rights remains an operative statute BTW.  Page 10 contains the following
passage;

"The underlying purpose of firearms legislation in the UK is to control the
supply and possession of all rifles, guns and pistols which could be used
for criminal or subversive purposes while recognising that individuals may
own and use firearms for legitimate purposes...".

It is a good read, would you like a copy.

Regards,  John Hurst.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]