Le 14/08/2013 21:29, Hagar Delest a écrit :
Le 14/08/2013 21:01, Raphael Bircher a écrit :

I like the idea of a public beta.  But consider the numbers.  The 40
or so regressions that were reported came from an install base (based
on download figures since 4.0.0 was released) of around 3 million
users.  Realistically, can we expect anywhere near that number in a
public beta?  Or is it more likely that a beta program has 10,000
users or fewer?  I don't know the answer here.   But certainly a
well-publicized and used beta will find more than a beta used by just
a few hundred users.
The public beta is from my point of view realy important. Even you have only
10'000 Downloads of a beta, you have normaly verry experianced Users there,
like power users from Companies. They provide realy valua feedback. So from my
point of view, this is one of the moast important changes we have to do. For
all Feature release a beta version. And don't forget, people are realy happy to
do beta tests. but many of them are maybe not willing to follow a mailing list.

+1.
OOo used to have RC versions strongly advertised, it could go up to 6 RC before
going final and it was very useful to spot the main bugs.

And I forgot: the 2 main bugs (slow saving in MS Office formats and the Calc
display issue under Windows) were reported in the forum only 2 days and 5 days
after the release! and we have had many topics for both afterward. A RC would
have clearly spared the hassle.

See:
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63082
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63161