On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net> wrote:

>>> The public beta is from my point of view realy important. Even you have
>>> only 10'000 Downloads of a beta, you have normaly verry experianced Users
>>> there, like power users from Companies. They provide realy valua feedback.
>>> So from my point of view, this is one of the moast important changes we have
>>> to do. For all Feature release a beta version. And don't forget, people are
>>> realy happy to do beta tests. but many of them are maybe not willing to
>>> follow a mailing list.
>>

>> +1.
>> OOo used to have RC versions strongly advertised, it could go up to 6 RC
>> before going final and it was very useful to spot the main bugs.
>>
> And I forgot: the 2 main bugs (slow saving in MS Office formats and the Calc
> display issue under Windows) were reported in the forum only 2 days and 5
> days after the release! and we have had many topics for both afterward. A RC
> would have clearly spared the hassle.
>
> See:
> http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63082
> http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63161

Maybe we need to call an earlier build the "RC" so it will get more
attention?   We had a complete test build that we were testing for
over a month.  But maybe it is ignored unless we call it an "RC"?  In
other words, there were many opportunities for users to help try 4.0
before it was released, but maybe there opportunities were not well
known.

-Rob