Hi Patricia

Am .05.2017, 22:04 Uhr, schrieb Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>:

On 5/20/2017 9:07 AM, Raphael Bircher wrote:
Hi all

Am .05.2017, 16:32 Uhr, schrieb esh1907 <esh1...@gmail.com>:

Maybe we should try to locate and convince people who used to work during
Star and Sun Microsystems to rejoin the project?

I think this is the wrong way to go. We can't get the good old time
back. What we need is fresh business blood. Not companies who use
OpenOffice, Companies who help develop the project. Without this we will
face a slow dead. A project in this size need professional developers.

But companies don't com just to put money in, they want something back
(normally). SUN and IBM was a big exception. The point is, we are not
attractive for Companies at the moment. There is no room to make money.
We should start getting attractive for companies.

We may need both. If a company got interested in AOO today, they would be presented with the same problem as I'm fighting: a large, complicated body of code that seems to have been modified by separate departments - just because I find out how something works in writer, it does not mean I know how it works in calc.

A retired Sun or StarOffice person who understands how the code is put together could save me a lot of time. My current low level objective is to find where to put a break point to intercept a double click on OLE substitute text. A few minutes of e-mail response from someone who knows, or knows how to find out, might save me hours or days. The same would apply to the professional developers you want.
I don't think, that this people are already retired, they are not old enough. And people from the pre SUN time bring not a load of benefit. Most of the code has changed since 1998. AFAIK one of the oldest part is the build in file picker (not the native one) He goes back to 199x.

But you are right, the ex people from SUN would be value. If the commercial situation of Apache OpenOffice changes, we can maybe get some of them back.

But what I want to say, we should not waste the time and try to restore the old project. OpenOffice is old, in the IT world very old. Things change from time to time. I don't say to scrap the old model immediately. Maybe we should invite people from the whole ASF to discuss how a modern Office Suite looks like. I believe we are to strong focused on the old concept. Sometimes this blocks new ideas and scares also companies with new ideas away.

Regards, Raphael