On 5/20/2017 2:11 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
We have way too many users to abandon the 4.x branch completely. We
do need to handle security issues.

If we want start a rewrite for a 5.x then we will need to map the
functionality particularly in Calc. We will also need to pick a more
modern language compared to C++. We now have an XML schema which can
help us generate code. We did this for Java in Apache POI. The ODF
Toolkit is also still in the Incubator and it could be of use.

I think we should all think about it a little and then have a series
of video conferences reporting back to the community with a synopsis
step by step.

I can see a case for creating a new project to build a modern office
suite from scratch, if there are enough interested people to make it viable.

I strongly disagree with calling it "OpenOffice" or assigning it an
OpenOffice version number, for the following reasons:

1. Doing so would create an expectation of compatibility that would
limit the options for the new suite.

2. Depending on how quickly the new suite is developed, and, after
release, its download rate relative to OpenOffice, we may want to
produce an actual OpenOffice 5.x. Using "OpenOffice 5.x" for the new
suite would limit the actual OpenOffice to 4.y, no matter how large y
gets, or how long demand for OpenOffice continues.

3. If you look at what I wrote above, using "OpenOffice" for the new
suite makes it very difficult to write clearly about the differences
between it and the current OpenOffice line.

I suggest that the people interested in writing new office suite should
pick a project name and either create an incubator podling or, if there
are enough members involved, create a new top level project.