As an e-mail conceived network DDN will live or die that way.

I would guess 95% of online communities "forced" to transition to a
web-centric environment die.

The only way Ning or any tool will work is if people can reply/start new
topics by e-mail and never have to visit the web site. Anything else
will result in about 20% of the people surviving the change in
environment which can easily lead to mass extinction.

On the other hand, if you think in terms of information "archeology,"
the e-mail layer is under the web forum layer, which is under the blog
layer, which is under the social network layer, which is under the
Twitter layer ... :-)

So, DDN "the list" will die when most of us kick the bucket because as
constituted it is probably not attracting a new generation of
participation with web-centric expectations. Or it will die when the
host no longer wants to support e-mail fuddy duddies.

Tobias mentioned the non-open source proprietary tool NTEN uses (;-))
which is actually pretty good. Sloooowly but surely at E-Democracy.Org
we've been webifying our local "Issues Forums" to behave like integrated
e-lists/web forums/massive multi-editor blogs/simple social nets using
the open source GPL GroupServer.Org tool. When you insist on e-mail
publishing you do place yourself outside the mainstream off web
developers who hate e-mail. Oh, well.  See
http://forums.e-democracy.org  (face lift coming!)

Key to bridging the digital divide is allowing people to be part of the
same online space while allowing people to choose their preferred
technological interface (how many of you are reading this on your mobile
and use idle time in transit as time you use to share in such networks
as DDN?)

Cheers,
Steven Clift
E-Democracy.Org