Dr. Steve Eskow wrote:

>According to Taran,

Hmm. According to Steve:

> the Amerindians of Guyana are quite happy to hunt for
>wood to burn for light and for cooking, and would have it no other way.
>
>That may be. However, I would favor asking them, rather than having Taran
>speak for them.

Go ahead, Steve, because in the same way I certainly would prefer
hearing something from the people from Ghana instead of you. So, your
word is as good as mine. I'm certain that we need not pursue that line
further. After all, I live in the region of the world of which  I speak,
and at the drop of a hat I can be in Guyana talking to an Amerindian
within 24 hours. According to Taran this is possible.

>Meanwhile, there is substantial evidence to back up some conclusions.
>
>First: there are literally billions of people in the world without
>electricity. Many of them spend an inordinate share of their incomes for the
>kerosene that slowly poisons them. And the villagers, most often women,
>spend much of their time hunting for wood to burn from a rapdily depleting
>supply.

According to Taran another argument could be made that electricity
generation using oil sources does the same. According to Taran, for
people who are unfamiliar with renewable energy equipment, there is also
an environmental impact in producing the equipment itself which many
people who advocate renewable energy do not factor in. According to
Taran, renewable energy in it's entirety is a larger subject than
'burning kerosene', and it affects the entire planet.

According to Taran, this is a very deep subject, and I suspect that it
will get deeper before it becomes clearer.

According to Taran, solar energy and other renewable sources are a boon
to many people - but irresponsible use of these in communities can be
detrimental as well. According to Taran, according to Steve, Steve may
not agree. But he doesn't have to.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad