I think I get Gary, too, on some points.

I almost gave up ham radio 8-10 years ago. The operating had become routine and boring. DXing was indistinguishable from post card or stamp collecting to me.

What changed it was a club member bringing a bunch of QRP rigs he had built to a meeting. Among them were a Rockmite and a K1. Next day I ordered one of each. Since that day, I have been as immersed in ham radio as any time in the last 57 years I've been licensed. I've since added two K2's and a KX1. I have no qualms about opening the cases of any of them and heating up the soldering iron to try something, though most of my ham activities involve sitting at the bench systematically working through the homebrewer's bible, EMRFD, and learning to program PICs in Forth (tired of C...if I stop for lunch I need to be retrained).

But I could never generate the same interest in the KX3 or K3. I've come close to buying a KX3 based on the absolutely superb specs and incredible reviews, but something's missing for me. I said the same about the first luxury Japanese cars when I worked in that industry; superb engineering and build quality, but they have no soul. The KX3/K3 kit builds are mostly mechanical not electronic. And who really knows what's going on inside that box beyond the block diagram which is all that is provided. I don't mean this to be critical. I don't know what hidden things are going on inside this computer I'm typing on either. SDR, with its hidden computer circuits, is where RF and ham radio is going. It's a very natural progression for Elecraft as one of the leaders in ham radio. Nobody could last long in this high tech age sticking with thru-hole QRP kits.

But there are people like Gary, and like me, who don't see the same radio magic in SDR that others see. I work on everything from boatanchors (Viking Ranger on the bench right now) to homebrew original design SMT and PIC projects, so I'm not some old f**t longing for the good ole days. (OK, maybe old f**t, but not the longing part) I love the new technologies, but I just can't get behind a rig that really isn't meant to be opened up and tinkered with.

Hats off to the Elecraft team for producing such technological wonders, but also hats off to them for keeping more classic rigs like the K1 and K2 in their product line.

Eric
KE6US