I want to thank all that replied to my OP for their perspectives. In fairness
to the ham's experimental spirit I plan to return my K3/P3 to the bench and
relearn the O/S.

It appears the Utility program's features are essential, and I need to
download and become familiar with that product. I own and have read Fred
KE7X's work as well.

I now clearly see the point of Elecraft's business model vs others. I too
went through the I-Y-K model evolutionary odyssey, and don't wish to repeat
those events.

Thanks for the sound advice from where experience counts,

73, Gary NL7Y