On 2/9/2014 4:14 PM, Gary NL7Y wrote:
It appears the Utility program's features are essential, and I need to
download and become familiar with that product.

While it's good to learn to use it, the radio will work forever without it. The Utility program has three primary functions. 1) It will automatically go to the Elecraft website, download the latest versions of firmware, check what's in your radio, and allow you to update the rig if it needs it. 2) It makes it easier to load CW memories and some settings. 3) It allows you to save all of the settings in the radio so if something breaks, you can restore your setup.

The P3 Utility has the additional functions that allow you to save displays that you see on the screen.

As others have noted, these firmware updates expand the capabilities and tweak the way things work. If you never did an update, things would still work just fine, but you wouldn't have the new features.

Each product has its own Uitility -- the K3, the P3, the KPA500, and the KAT500 -- and they all work the same. VERY easy to use. I typically open up each one of them every 6 months to a year to see if there's anything new. I have two complete stations, and it takes 30-45 minutes to do everything.

73, Jim K9YC