Eric,

I think in your message copied below you come closest to expressing and
understanding the anxiety in Gary's mail.  I am a loyal, frequent,
multi-mode user of my K3, but there is more to the hobby for many of us than
the latest software upgrades, software/hardware interface issues and bugs
that form the content of the majority of posts on this reflector. Complete
station automation through software and integrated hardware is not a goal
for many, including me, in the hobby. Although I do admit that I am
anxiously waiting for the K3/0 mini so I can remote from my home QTH to my
shack 100 miles away.

For me there is the joy putting my mind and hands to work finding the "bad
guy"(or guys) among the resistors, capacitors, inductors, Rube Goldberg
mechanisms and tubes of my 75A4 (a crystal set compared to the K3) and KW-1
(not KWS-1). With a complete schematic spread out in front of me, using
logic and measurements the precise function of every one of those hundreds
of discrete components is clear. The process of understanding, maintenance
and repair is far different from finding a software bug or resolving an
interface issue and equally as rewarding, I think.

And one more, not so subtle point: K3 + Drake L4B (1200W; $400 with a
month's work at the bench) + Johnson KW Matchbox (no, it doesn't suddenly
re-tune on its own; got to put hands on it, but getting it to stop arcing
over was a challenge; $100) yields an amplifier + tuner cost per watt of
$0.42.  You can make that calculation with "other" amplifier/tuner
combinations that have a set of headaches that you can't fix yourself.

Perhaps now Gary's plaint and my, and others like me, more extreme deviation
from 2014 orthodoxy are more understandable.

There is fun for each of us in this hobby!

73,

Buzz

W3EMD

Message: 26