Jim, N2EY wrote:

Contesting is one way to build operator skills, by
pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone. It's also one of the driving
forces
behind improvements in ham rigs and techniques, such as the replacement of
separates with transceivers.

Agreed absolutely and, as Jim went on to say, "With all due respect, the
first order of business is to define what 'really good operating practices'
are. Good ragchewing practices aren't necessarily good contesting or traffic
handling practices."

I don't find it any more appropriate to transfer extremely abbreviated
operating styles to routine contacts that it would be for me to work a
station in the SS beginning, "HOWDY OM. TNX FOR THE CALL. FB QSA5 SIG HR.
GOOD TO WRK U...etc. etc..."

Traffic nets are an entirely different story from both Contests and routine
QSOs.

I don't see anything suggesting that when it comes to operating procedures
that "one size fits all".

Indeed, as I mentioned earlier, I've had it backfire on me when I thought a
station was giving me a short contest-type call after I sent a CQ only to
find out later that he was actually in a QSO that I could hear only one side
of. That's a very common situation on the HF bands.

Ron AC7AC