In a message dated 2/8/06 12:45:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> | In contest operation, we'll dispense with the DE and K altogether.
> | Millions of contest CW contacts are made this way each year, without
> | sending both calls.

And without any confusion.

>     Contest conditions are usually frantic, crowded and many times plain
> RUDE.
> It is kinda like a cat fight with thousands of cats involved.

In the contests I've worked for the past 38 years, (mostly CW SS and CW on
Field Day) I've encountered very low levels of rudeness - and very high levels
of operator skill.

 Even in contest

> conditions, there are times for repitition.  A typical example is "my kind
> of
> contest: a QRP event".  Such things as sections/states and unique member
> numbers are exchanged.  In the peak of the QRM/QSB I usually always
> send State and my number TWICE.  This makes things perhaps run a few
> seconds longer, but it makes the exchange much smoother,

Perhaps the most important skill in contesting is adjusting to the situation
- knowing when to repeat and when not to, when to speed up and when to slow
down, etc. No one method suits all situations.

 especially if

> you are trying to operate a key and the rig with one hand and a
> logging program keyboard with the other hand.  Otherwise, you
> have to ask for a repeat which wastes more time.

Try doing it with a log sheet, dupe sheet, bug and manual TR! One trick I
learned was how to send while holding a pencil because there's no time to put
it
down and pick it up.

In CW SS, the exchange is quite long, too. You need to send and receive four
pieces of information besides the callsign: Serial number, class, year first
licensed, section. Band, time and date need to be recorded, but they're
obvious, of course.

Abbreviated operating techniques are the norm in a free-for-all,pushing,
shoving

> contest.

I find contests to be competitive but not pushing or shoving. I am always
amazed at how stations sort themselves out to be about a
good-crystal-filter-bandwidth apart.

I am always amused by the guy who is sending everything at 50 WPM

> thinking he will get a higher QSO count by doing so!  Not everyone can do
> that speed with consistant accuracy.

The trick is to adjust to conditions. 20 wpm once is faster than 35 wpm
repeated.

But if you toss in a couple of unneeded extra characters per QSO, it adds up
over the course of a contest to a considerable amount of time and a
considerable number of contacts not made.

For me, one of the glories of contest operation is paring down the exchange
to the absolute bare minimum while still meeting all FCC requirements and
getting the information across. Contesting is one way to build operator skills,
by
pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone. It's also one of the driving forces
behind improvements in ham rigs and techniques, such as the replacement of
separates with transceivers.

Contesting shows up all weaknesses and strengths in both station and
operator. It's one time when the qualities of a rig like the K2 stand out above
the
run-of-the-mill rigs.
>     Anyway, the sum of it is, nobody seems like they are teaching ANY
> really good operating practices anymore.

With all due respect, the first order of business is to define what 'really
good operating practices' are. Good ragchewing practices aren't necessarily
good contesting or traffic handling practices.

ARRL has dropped the section

> from the "Handbook".  They either don't give a damn, or they want to
> sell you an additional book to cover that subject!

Or maybe they don't want to deal with the arguments....

    Having not taught a "ham class" for many, many years, I don't know

> what is being skipped over these days.

There were no such classes in my area when I was a Novice in 1967. I learned
procedure by listening to other hams, and by reading books like "ABCs of Ham
Radio", "Operating An Amateur Radio Station" and the ARRL Handbook.

btw, back then there was variation of opinion on what was good practice, too.
Particularly on 'phone. Some things don't change...

73 de Jim, N2EY