Rod,

You referenced the download page and so I just went through
https://linuxcnc.org/downloads/ again and liked it a lot. Very clear, many
thanks! Whoever wrote that - many thanks! My initial reflex was like "Our
documentation should be as good or better" and then thought that maybe the
documentation should in contrary just depend on the download page to know best
what to download and we should possibly even minimize our LinuxCNC
documentation on OS install questions with a pointer to the Download page?!?

I downloaded the RPi5 image , ran xz -dt on it with no complaint, but then got
a complaint by rpi-imager, the image size would not be a multiple of 512. That
was with the same SD that had held the previous version. Did anybody else get
that message, too?  I ran this with another machine, with a USB SD adapter, so
something could be off. Will try another download and another machine, but
should someone else run into this, please kindly shout out.

Happy New Year to everyone,
Steffen