On Monday, January 23, 2012 02:22:35 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 22, 2012 09:01:21 PM Jon Elson did opine:
> >

> > I just tried these two additions to my .ini file, then restarted emc
> > while the machine was within about a thou of zero on all axises.  But
> > on the restart, the home flag wasn't set where it was restarted, and
> > a click on the 'home all' button then zeroed the display in addition
> > to setting the home * on in the selected sequence.  This then throws
> > my machine off by however much it is from zero, and this is not at
> > all nice, forcing me to repeat the homing by electrical contact
> > detection that I am currently using as I get setup to 'etch' a couple
> > pcb's.  That takes 5 to 10 minutes of creeping along at .015/minute
> > feed rates for all 3 axises to arrive at where it was when I shut it
> > down.
> >
> > It would be nice if there was a setting that would cause it to set the
> > home stars, _without_ zeroing the counters, accepting that it is
> > 'homed' wherever it is at.
>
> Well, if you want to home just ONE axis, don't do "home all".  I do not
> use the home all
> function, it lets me watch to avoid any collisions when homing.
>
> I don't know why your homing is so slow, I do the initial search at
> something like 45 IPM.
>

> Home is defined as a specific place, so machine limits can be known.
> (Not so important
> on a rotary axis.)  The workpiece coordinates are some offset from
> that.  If you move
> the home position, then the workpiece coords move, too.  It sounds more
> like you
> want to set workpiece coords rather than homing.
>
> Jon

No Jon, I want to be able to power down and restart everything without
destroying an already known and set home position.  I can't do that without
laboriously spending maybe 2:30 per axis driving it by hand from the
keyboard, to the 0.0000 position in order to be able to set the "homed"
flag of that axis without mucking with the established position because
clicking on the home axis button destroys the home position.  So I am
forced to drive the machine to 0.0000 on each axis and then click home.

What I want to do is, assuming I stop emc with the machine sitting at
x+3.9981, y+2.1473, z6.7500, a0.0000, restart emc, which will then show
those values in the display thanks to POSITION.txt, then be able to click
the Home All button and see the homed flags come on so I can load and run
code, without destroying that pretty well known 'home' position by zeroing
all the counters and putting home where its sitting many inches from the
home already established, I want it to accept that it has been 'homed'
where ever its at in the display without screwing with the already known
and set position.

The only errors I would have left would be due largely from backlash, and
the present POSITION.txt file not recording which side of the backlash
clearance it was sitting against when emc was shut down, and the possible
.0001" movement of the drivers powering back up at 00 in their microstep
cycle.  For what I am doing, .0001" is way better than I need in the real
world, a thou would generally be fine.

Workpiece coords I don't generally mess with, its the refusal of emc to run
any code, or MDI functions _until_ I have destroyed the machines known
position by destroying that known position as the homed flags are set.

Home nor limit switches I have never installed as this machine doesn't
really have room for them to be installed such that a few thou over travel
would not smash them.

Thanks & Cheers Jon, Gene
I used to work in a fire hydrant factory.  You couldn't park anywhere near
the place.
                -- Steven Wright