On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 04:49:03 PM Ed Nisley did opine:

> On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 18:04 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > if I can insert those few lines of code after the M6 T# command.
>
> If you add:
>
> [EMCIO]
> TOOL_CHANGE_AT_G30 = 1

That is I believe, a new one to me, thanks Ed.  I'm assuming that will
alleviate the need to actually edit in the moves to the tool change
position.  OTOH, pcb-gcode outputs those moves too, so a slight change in
its recipe and I am down to adding the subroutine call after the M6 T#

> Then M6 will move to the G30 position, which you've cleverly set right
> above the probe switch. Admittedly, you must then call the probe
> subroutine, but a little sed-fu [grin] should do the trick if pcb2gcode
> doesn't have an option buried in there to wrap some user code around the
> tool change.

Which I now think can be a file to the call function, a single line to
insert.  This is sounding more better all the time.

> The sourceforge pcb2gcode page has a bullet item:
>
>     output can be adjusted for automated height probing, see
> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82628
>
> That discussion points to:
>
> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/pcb_milling/82628-cheap_simple_height-prob
> ing.html

I haven't looked yet, been out all day but I know it will be useful (Dr's
office & 2 or 4 craft stores, Dr says nose is ok, just not 100% healed
yet), thank you for the pointers to a recipe.

> Which seems to be a generalized planar-surface probe process that's
> likely too complex. All you must do is insert a G38.2 probe-and-set
> subroutine, because you've already solved the PCB flatness and alignment
> problems. Some sed-fu should do the trick.
>
> I vaguely recall reading that stuff while building my hand-hewn G-Code
> routines. Mercifully, those didn't have the problem of integrating with
> anything else in the known universe...

VBG & a Chuckle :)  Where I have the problem of doing much of it from
scratch,  first learning eagle (if it can ever be said one has truly
learned it), then learning what little I know about pcb-gcode with the same
comment.  The gcode being virtually the only thing in this whole sequence
that I haven't had to learn completely from scratch although I have spent
quite a bit of time looking for fixes I needed _this_ time.  Its been a fun
ride even if i have hit a pothole or 3 that folks here have at least told
me where to get the 'bag mix' to fix them, smoothing the ride.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
If you do something right once, someone will ask you to do it again.