On Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:17:44 AM Viesturs Lācis did opine:

> 2012/1/23 Ed Nisley <ed.08.nis...@pobox.com>:
> > [TRAJ]
> > NO_FORCE_HOMING = 1
> >
> > Axis then starts up wherever it shut down, with the previous position
> > in place, and runs just fine.
>
> So are You telling that this line also tells Axis to remember joint
> positions on shutdown or do You have something additional for that?
>
> Viesturs

No, that is this line, also in the [TRAJ] section:

POSITION_FILE = position.txt

That does the 'remembering'.

The file format is internal to extreme precision, but I suspect that it
doesn't account for which side of the backlash the machine is currently
sitting at when you shut down emc.  A simple + or - based on the last
direction it moved, appended or comma separated from that axis's position
and something in the position recovery code could process the + or - and
then do a decent job of recovering a machine with say 5 thou of backlash
comp in its setup, doing it to a less than a thou loss in accuracy.

Cheers, Gene
Give all orders verbally.  Never write anything down that might go into a
"Pearl Harbor File".