on 05/14/2004 07:16 PM, Paul Berkowitz at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 5/14/04 7:04 PM, "Scott Haneda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> I can't imagine anyone else will want go back to X after upgrading to 2004,
>>> but yes, that's how to do it.
>>
>> I really did not want to either, I thought it would be only a temp thing and
>> that this font display issue would be able to be worked out.  Now that I
>> have found out that this is just how it is, which is surprising to me since
>> I don't have any other apps that have this problem, and I use Monaco 9 in
>> all of them, I suppose I will just have to find some "pretty" font that is
>> easy for me to read and work with.
>>
>> I have a feeling a once the bulk of people update, there will be a lot of
>> people who really  have issue with this, then again, I could be totally
>> wrong and everyone will just start using html email and not plain text, who
>> knows :-)
>
> I think that most people who are discomfited by it will be just a wee bit
> more adaptable than you, and will either go to 10 pts or will find a font
> that's close in appearance to Monaco and doesn't have the problem. Like the
> Andale Mono Beth suggested.

I think I have to agree with you on this one, I know I am being a little
strict about this one issue, it just happens to matter a whole lot to me.
Second to Bbedit, I spend most of my time in E-rage.  Its this contrast of
toggling from a font view in Bbedit then back to E-rage that just announces
to me that something is not how I want it :-)

I will try a few other fonts and hopefully come to some semi-happy medium.
However, I know there are some who will feel as strong about this as I, I
even think that Dan Crevier, whom I assume is a developer feels almost
similar, since he mentioned that he spend quite some time trying to resolve
this as well.  I am not fully convinced it can not be remedied, there are
too many modern OS X apps that do not have this issue, I can not see that
E-rage is the only one that has adopted ATSUI.

> I mean we're not talking about functionality here, nor anything that can't
> be adjusted (unless someone keeps sending you HTML messages in Monaco 9,
> which is not very likely). I do not think that most people will find that
> their liking of Monaco 9 is so absolute that a slight change in appearance
> to another plain text font is not outweighed by the 2000 or so other
> improvements in Office 2004.

I tend to agree, for most it is has nothing to do with functionality, for me
it certainly does :-)  I am yet to find something in E-rage I could not work
around or script around, this just happens to be one of those "things" with
me.  I am sure I will live. :-)

If there are 2000 or so improvements to Office 2004, I was wondering, can
someone shed some light on what is improved in E-rage specifically?  I don't
use the other parts of Office 2004 other than the really occasional copy and
paste from Word or Excel.  I am in no way trying to diminish the efforts of
E-rage, I really think I must be missing some of the grander features, in my
limited one day use of E-rage 2004, other than the Project Management and
the addition of a new way of viewing stuff via grouping, I can not seem to
find anything that screams out "wow" to me.  I am sure I just have not had
the time to locate all the little bells and whistles, perhaps you can share
with me some of the new things you really like.