On 5/14/04 9:31 PM, "Scott Haneda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I will try a few other fonts and hopefully come to some semi-happy medium.
> However, I know there are some who will feel as strong about this as I, I
> even think that Dan Crevier, whom I assume is a developer feels almost
> similar, since he mentioned that he spend quite some time trying to resolve
> this as well.  I am not fully convinced it can not be remedied, there are
> too many modern OS X apps that do not have this issue, I can not see that
> E-rage is the only one that has adopted ATSUI.

No, but almost all of the the other apps which have adopted ATSUI are Cocoa
apps, and the Cocoa text engine does not have the problem, as Dan said.
Entourage uses the WASTE text engine. A lot of Mac Carbon apps also use
WASTE: as far as I know, none of them implements ATSUI because the standard
WASTE 2 engine can't do it. Dan (who in fact contributed to earlier versions
of WASTE and is credited as such in the copyright) devised a modification to
WASTE, especially for Entourage 2004, that does implement ATSUI. This is the
text engine that has the problem with Monaco. Some day, Entourage may change
text engines (which would be a HUGE endeavour) or maybe Apple will fix
whatever this problem is conflicting with ATSUI.

>> I mean we're not talking about functionality here, nor anything that can't
>> be adjusted (unless someone keeps sending you HTML messages in Monaco 9,
>> which is not very likely). I do not think that most people will find that
>> their liking of Monaco 9 is so absolute that a slight change in appearance
>> to another plain text font is not outweighed by the 2000 or so other
>> improvements in Office 2004.
>
> I tend to agree, for most it is has nothing to do with functionality, for me
> it certainly does :-)  I am yet to find something in E-rage I could not work
> around or script around, this just happens to be one of those "things" with
> me.  I am sure I will live. :-)
>
> If there are 2000 or so improvements to Office 2004, I was wondering, can
> someone shed some light on what is improved in E-rage specifically?  I don't
> use the other parts of Office 2004 other than the really occasional copy and
> paste from Word or Excel.  I am in no way trying to diminish the efforts of
> E-rage, I really think I must be missing some of the grander features, in my
> limited one day use of E-rage 2004, other than the Project Management and
> the addition of a new way of viewing stuff via grouping, I can not seem to
> find anything that screams out "wow" to me.  I am sure I just have not had
> the time to locate all the little bells and whistles, perhaps you can share
> with me some of the new things you really like.

Those who know (beta-testers and MS employees) are not yet allowed to do so,
as per NDA agreements. 2004 is not yet officially released. When it is, we
will be able to do so - it won't be too long now. In the meantime those of
you who have already received 2004 are perfectly free to discuss it, and
we're allowed to correct you in some cases...

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP Entourage

PLEASE always state which version of Entourage you are using - **2004**, X
or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions otherwise.