On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 10:21, Charlie M. wrote:

> October 19, 2003 06:11 am, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> > [...]
> > before building ISOs but I could be wrong. I'm sure there are notes about it
> on the TWiki (cooker).
> >
> > gendistrib if for prepairing the tree for hd / network installs...
> > you don't need it for making cds...
>
> I guess that's another of those things I do from habit then. Left over from
> too many urpmi errors/installation failed messages.
>
> > both gendistrib and makecd does that procedure...
> > gendistrib verifies dependencies and write one hdlist.cz / synthesis for
> > the whole media, leaving out the packages that don't have their
> > depencies met...
>
> After I posted that reply I ran makecd against my local cooker tree to build a
> set of disks for a friend that wants to participate but has "broadband" that
> isn't quite. Tons and tons of errors/warnings but it did generate disks. I'll
> post if they aren't usable for an install. That won't necessarily apply to
> the 9.2 tree though. It's a cooker tree.
>
> > as for makecd is does the exact same thing, but it splits up hdlist.cz
> > and synthesis based on amount of cd's, and their contents....
> > (so urpmi/rpmdrake will know on wich cd to look...)
> > [...]
> >
> > > I'll probably wait for the power pack, too.  I was just curious as to
> > > how to do it.  The CDs I made, did boot, but I didn't try installing
> > > because of all of the dependency errors (most of them in apach2, but
> > > there were others, too, like gdm).  My real reason to try was that I
> > > have a high speed connection from work, but not home.  But the work
> > > connection does work with BitTorrent.  So, I could ftp the 9.2 tree down
> > > and I thought I would build my own ISOs.  Like I said, the process was
> > > pretty smooth (although lengthy) and I ended up with 8 CDs (I included
> > > contrib, too).  But, with all of those dependency errors, I didn't want
> > > to risk screwing something up (my test linux box is temporarily in
> > > production).
> >
> > The dependency problems is only makecd's way to inform you
> > that those packages won't be on the cd's as you cant install them
> > anyway...
> > so it does make the cd's installable ...
> >
> > > In reality, downloading the tree and running MakeCD was not
> > > significantly more work that ftp'ing ISOs.  Oh well, the powerpack
> > > should be shipping in the next two weeks!
> > >
> > > Joeb
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Thomas
>
> I'll eventually attain knowledge enough to be as helpful as some others on
> these lists. Maybe....if my head doesn't explode. (-:
>
> My mission at the moment though is to see how long I can keep this cooker
> install up to date without having to reboot/hd install. The only real reason
> to reboot now would be to start using one of the newer kernels I've
> installed. I really am good at breaking things through sheer ape-like
> curiosity though. <g>

Charlie,

   I know that one.  I remember RH4.2 and two solid weeks of install....
adjust.... break... re-install, adjust, break,......... And for those
who say a re-install is never needed. You should have seen how well I
broke 4.2  One thing I got really good at was setting up multi-boot
boxes.  (I was running RH4.2, A Korean Linux who's name I've forgotten,
FreeBSD 2.6 and winders ninety weight.)  All on a single pair of 3 gig
drives.  My greatest discovery was KDE 0.5(or thereabouts) for FreeBSD.
And yes, KDE was originally a FreeBSD wm.

James