Garrett,

It is important to note that there are some OS related security modes
which do not engage the hardware level drive security.

The threat model for self-encrypting drives is protection for data at
rest, that is, when the machine has been powered down such as when
Windows has been put into hibernation mode or completely shut down.
I'm not sure, but I do not believe screen locking Windows has any affect
on unpowering the disk drive, thereby causing it to lock.   If that is
the case, then your scenario is likely correct and the machine could be
rebooted with an alternate OS to defeat the OS security, not the drive
security.  For instance, I know that just doing a warm reboot/restart of
Windows does not unpower the drive, therefore, during the reboot, the
drive will not require authentication since it has remained in an
unlocked state.

The correct procedure in order to engage the SED drive locking would be
for the user to put the system into hibernation mode whenever they leave
the system.  As I mentioned, the Embassy software will not allow Windows
standby mode since it does not unpower the drive either, so if standby
mode is selected it will be automatically defaulted to hibernation mode.
There is a notable exception for Dell systems shipping today with
Seagate encrypting drives and Wave's Embassy software.  Dell, Seagate,
and Wave engineered a secure standby mode solution, but only on Dell's
platforms.  All other platforms will need hibernation mode or complete
power off in order to engage drive locking.

As a side point since there was much discussion about the Princeton Cold
Boot attacks, the encryption keys and authentication credentials are
always held and used inside the secure hardware of the self-encrypting
drives, therefore, none of the described system memory attacks could
discover any of these secrets since they are never held in memory.

Thanks,

Lark Allen