There exists an effective solution to mitigate the OS attacks (warm boot as
being described by Garrett) using all disk drives including SED and FDE. This
can be done without a TPM or any other extra components as suggested by Dmitry
& Darren.

Garrett said:
<Thanks for the info, Lark.

So the attack vector is reduced to:
1. the machine is on* (like if the user locks his screen & walks away for a
moment), and then
2. someone steals the laptop (leaving it on), and then
3. restarts the machine using a boot disc or bootable USB stick.>

A warm boot such as Ctl-Alt-Del causes SATA host to issue COMRESET which in
turn resets device protocol stacks without power being interrupted. What SED
and FDE would need to perform is to reset the crypto engine upon COMRESET to
invalidate the AES secret key of either the disk controller (if the crypto
engine is embedded within the disk controller) or the separate crypto
controller working in conjunction with the disk controller. The solution is
indifferent to the boot sequence.

The X-Wall MX (http://www.enovatech.net/products/mx_info.htm) does just that.

Thanks,

Robert Wann