From: fde-boun...@www.xml-dev.com [mailto:fde-boun...@www.xml-dev.com] On
Behalf Of Daniel Feenberg
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:50 PM
To: Robert Wann; fde@www.xml-dev.com
Subject: Re: [FDE] Q concerning hardware-based encryption/security

   On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Robert Wann wrote:

   > There exists an effective solution to mitigate the OS attacks (warm
boot
   > as being described by Garrett) using all disk drives including SED and
   > FDE. This can be done without a TPM or any other extra components as
   > suggested by Dmitry & Darren.
   >
   > Garrett said:
   > <Thanks for the info, Lark.
   >
   > So the attack vector is reduced to:
   > 1. the machine is on* (like if the user locks his screen & walks away
for a moment), and then
   > 2. someone steals the laptop (leaving it on), and then
   > 3. restarts the machine using a boot disc or bootable USB stick.>

   I am missing something very elementary here - why shouldn't the screen
   lock turn off decryption? Why would the system need to wait for the
reset?
   Is it so that threads can continue to execute? Is that a widespread
   requirement on a laptop?

   Daniel Feenberg

   > A warm boot such as Ctl-Alt-Del causes SATA host to issue COMRESET
which
   > in turn resets device protocol stacks without power being interrupted.
   > What SED and FDE would need to perform is to reset the crypto engine
   > upon COMRESET to invalidate the AES secret key of either the disk
   > controller (if the crypto engine is embedded within the disk
controller)
   > or the separate crypto controller working in conjunction with the disk
   > controller. The solution is indifferent to the boot sequence.
   >
   > The X-Wall MX (http://www.enovatech.net/products/mx_info.htm) does just

   > that.
   >
   > Thanks,
   >
   > Robert Wann
   > CTO
   > Enova Technology Corp.
   > www.enovatech.com; i...@enovatech.com;

handle OS attacks, attacks on RAM, etc. That would certainly fall out of
scope with the purpose of the drive. The only remaining concern I have is
that hardware FDE doesn't require re-authentication on reboot. Again,
hibernation or shutdown defeat this attack scenario, but security is about
risk assessment, so that is what I'm trying to gauge here (the relative
risks associated with hardware FDE vs software FDE).

   >  ------------------
   >
   >  Changing gears slightly...
   >
   >  Can anyone describe the anti-hammering that is built into the Seagate
FDE drive (to preclude brute-forcing the authentication passphrase)?

are focusing on data-at-rest. Basically, you described hi-jack attack, when
powered-on computer is stolen. You will need one more element in the system,
proximity sensor, to mitigate this attack. There are plenty of sensors on
the market:

   >  For example:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/823445/Tripp-Lite-Wireless-USB-Proximi
ty-Lock/?cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Google-_-Security_Tools_and_Cleaning-_-823445&mr:t
rackingCode=0DD648A0-CD65-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

this one: http://www.bluetoothpassport.com/
http://members.lycos.co.uk/wuul/bluelock/readme.html

   >  You may need to change sensor software configuration to hibernate
instead of sleep or starting screensaver. In combination with hardware disk
encryption it will give you good protection against hijack and even against
followed cold boot attack on hi-jacked machine.

   >  Dmitry

On Behalf Of Garrett M. Groff
   >  Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 11:30 AM
   >  To: fde@www.xml-dev.com
   >  Subject: Re: [FDE] Q concerning hardware-based encryption/security
   >
   >  Thanks for the info, Lark.
   >
   >  So the attack vector is reduced to:
   >  1. the machine is on* (like if the user locks his screen & walks away
for a moment), and then
   >  2. someone steals the laptop (leaving it on), and then
   >  3. restarts the machine using a boot disc or bootable USB stick.
   >
   >  Begging the question: Are there ways of mitigating that avenue of
attack beyond just changing the boot sequence in the BIOS &
password-protecting the BIOS setup?

   >  * I understand many other vulnerabilities exist on running operating
systems, such as buffer overflow attacks on system services via the network,
but I find that avenue of attack less likely than simply using a boot disc
(as described above), esp as self-encrypting drives become more widespread.

Seagate Momentus FDE drives.  Whenever power is removed from the drive,
either at full system shutdown, or when the system goes into hibernation,
the drive locks and all user data, including the hibernation file is
encrypted and unavailable.  When the system is powered up the FDE drive is
locked.  If an alternate system is booted, the drive will only appear to
have a 128MB available, which is the protected read-only partition on the
drive which stores the shadow master boot record which is used to provide
the pre-boot authentication for unlocking the drive by an authorized user.
Once the drive is unlocked, then the normal boot process or return from
hibernation will execute.  There is no possibility for alternate boot
scenarios which will be able to find the drive in an unlocked state.

   >  The Wave Embassy software you mentioned for managing the setup and
security settings for the Seagate FDE drive, forces Windows to use hibernate
mode, even if standby mode is selected by the user.  In Dell systems,
Seagate, Wave, and Dell worked together to create a solution for secure
standby mode, so for Dell systems both hibernate and standby modes are
supported with full security.

   >  Lark Allen
   >
   >  Wave Systems Corp.

Momentus FDE. While the idea looks quite brilliant, my understanding is that
the user is only prompted for credentials when booting from a cold machine
(one that has been shut down completely). If that's correct, then that
presents the following vector of attack:

   >  Bad Guy catches machine in standby (or hibernate?) mode. Bad Guy wakes
machine & then restarts it, booting to a USB stick (or CD) rather than the
HDD. Since HDD is already authenticated, Bad Guy mounts file system & reads
(or writes!) data directly off of HDD.

   >  Can someone provide technical information that confirms or denies this
potential attack vector? I'm specifically looking at Seagate's Momentus FDE
drive w/ Wave's Embassy Suite, though other vendors would logically suffer
the same vulnerability.