Plastic rubbermaid totes will help too. If you cut a hole toward the end on one of the long sides and leave the lid on top, you can stuff it with a little hay or pine needles (no cloth please, it holds water). Cutting the hole this way lets them get further out of the weather and feels safer than putting it in the middle or on a short side. The top acts as a roof, repelling water and wind and makes it easier to tend to the box. I like to put a little Sevin in for fleas during the season. On Mar 11, 2012, at 12:03 AM, <dlg...@windstream.net> <dlg...@windstream.net > wrote:

If the caregivers provide protection for them, even a styrofoam cooler wll protect frm rain, snow and with a bit of straw, they can be warm.

---- GRAS <g...@optonline.net> wrote:
At least the cat colonies don't have to freeze in the winter in FL like they
do elsewhere.

Most TNR groups that I know of in this area don't tests at all.

From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Heather
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:27 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Fwd: TNR

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Heather <furrygi...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] TNR
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org

Definitely not to argue, but to provide some perspective on high volume TNR
and the ACA (and Neighborhood Cats) stance on routine testing of TNR
ferals...

While millions of cats are of course killed in shelters each year
nationally, the free roaming cat population on the streets may differ vastly geographically. In my city (Tampa), there are hundreds of thousands of feral cats. There are several of us constantly practicing TNR on the "population at large" (or colonies where the feeders are not fixing--a huge sore spot with us, too), meaning trapping pretty much every week, sometimes more than once a week, cats who are not at our own colonies. Some of my friends trap anywhere from 10 - 50 cats per week for TNR (and of course kittens and such are rescued as much as space/socialization/fosters permit, sick cats treated, etc.) Routine TNR's--not being rescued for adoption or not being addressed/treated for illness are not tested. If we tested every cat, we could only spay/neuter/vaccinate a fraction of the cats. There would be far more (exponentially, we all know how cats can reproduce--here it's hot and a mama will have 3 litters a year) cats breeding, spreading illness. There would be more negative AND more positive cats, and therefore since unfixed, also more positive (and negative) kittens being born on the streets. In our city, we are serving the greater good by fixing as many as possible. Since we all also do a lot of rescue, pulling friendlies/dumped cats, or cats to be treated for illness, from colonies, I can say we run into FELV fairly seldomly. Despite my own very high # of colonies, in addition to helping people rescue and fix cats all over, I have run into FELV the most of anyone I know and it's really just been in two areas, close
in proximity, where the feeders are NOT fixing the cats.  Disease
definititely seems to proliferate where the cats are unsterilized, though of
course I realize it spreads in other ways besides reproducing.

As TNR has steadily increased in our county, the # of cats euthanized at our
county AS has steadily declined--I can share a graph if anyone is
interested, the results are absolutely amazing and pretty much in direct proportion in terms of euth decrease/TNR increase. Several years ago 16K-18K cats were killed per year at this county shelter; now it is down to
around 9K.

Even our own local Humane Society--which has the most awesome s/n/TNR
clinic, but was very firm on testing for years, finally conceded with the ACA/Neighborhood Cats stance that, on routine TNR's not showing signs of illness, the resources are best spent in sterilizing more cats than on testing. They do sometimes call us while assessing/operating and say they feel a particular cat needs to be tested. They are elated by the decrease
in shelter euthanasia as well.

I have no qualms returning an FIV+ cat to a safe area with a good caretaker, I had one FIV+ female who lived to be 14 outside until we brought her in to live her last 9 months due to geriatric issues. Granted, this was on a university campus where we often have cats live to be over 10 years old (just a little different environment from the true streets such as fast food
joints, etc.).

I hope me providing this perspective isn't resented--again, it's not
intended to argue, just some comments to explain why many embrace the ACA
perspective on not testing routine TNR's

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and best practices for what they are doing. The overpopulation problem in Florida is insane, that
is one thing that goes without saying.

Thanks everyone for caring about cats!

Heather