"Plying" is twisting 2 or more singles together in the direction
opposite to their original spinning twist.  The singles all nest
together, creating a unit, especially after it's washed and all the
twist softens together.  Twisting a 3 ply yarn with a 2 ply (or any
other combination of plied yarn twisted with another plied yarn or a
single) is not "plying" per se, it is Cabling.  The yarn created is very
different.

Lynn C
Seattle