Mark et al,

Yes, I think that is perfectly acceptable for an initial version. Scrollable cursors are a bit of an oddity anyway, but having scrollable cursors in embedded access, but not in remote access is IMHO less acceptable than bad performance. As long as the performance behaviour is clearly documented, people can make the decision if the bad performance is worth the utility of scrollable cursors for themselves.

I've just committed network support for scrollable cursors to master. Prefetch logic is supported for NEXT/PRIOR navigations. Protocol changes are documented here:

https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird/issues/7051

The test set to cover different navigation scenarios is being created, once it's ready we'll validate the results between PSQL cursors, embedded access, network access w/prefetch and network access wo/prefetch (FOR UPDATE added to SELECTs). Obviously, we expect them to match ;-)

I'd appreciate if Mark could test scrollability from the Jaybird side too (i.e. without fbclient involved), but the new protocol should be supported for that.

The committed version is linked to protocol 17 which was introduced for 4.0.1. Thus technically, this improvement can be backported and released together with v4.0.1. However, I'm not sure this risk is acceptable for a point release and I'm ready to introduce protocol 18 in master for v5. Opinions, please.