> this is from my _very_ first email. let me know which part you don't
> understand:

Ok, let's assume for a moment that you are not trolling (I'm guessing
you didn't follow the link?), I'm beginning to wonder if there has
been a miscommunication here....

> so is there a way to have suggestions categorised?

Are you talking about *AUTOSUGGESTIONS* or *TAB COMPLETION*? The two
are very *very* different things in fish. This whole time everyone has
been assuming you are talking about autosuggestions (because that's
the words you have used), where this:

> meaning hitting <Enter> will
> not just accept the suggestion but also execute it.

Would make ZERO sense whatsoever and be extremely DANGEROUS since
autosuggestion kicks in after typing even a single character. However,
if you are actually talking about *TAB COMPLETION*, then it would make
sense to do that in the menu style of vimperator or pentadactyl since
that only kicks in when the tab key has been pressed explicitly.

> that way one could
> say ok i was history *hits* first then whatever tab-completion would do
> in other shells

See, this makes me wonder if you might not even know what the
autosuggestion in Fish is doing, since it does actually use history
already, and that's what 99% of us use instead of tab completion.

The autosuggestion is suggestions from your history displayed in grey
as you type, which needs to be explicitly accepted with Ctrl+F or
right arrow (or accepted one word at a time with Alt+F), whereas tab
completion does not use history and behaves much the same as other
shells.

So, which one are you talking about?

-I

--