Esteemed list,

I remember some time ago i suggested a similar thing, having enter auto-accept
the suggestion offered by fish(a la Safari), and was promptly shot down. I'm
glad i ended my tirade early, as my humiliation was markedly less than the
gentleman this time around.

I too felt frustrated initially, but as i along with my time with fish grew,
i've come to realise the wisdom of the elders.

I believe what triggers this desire is the fact that the suggestion offered by
fish is so often right, but what about the use case where two similar hits from
the command history are used often, currently fish will choose one until it
gets input that suggests it's the other one, potentially with Alt-F to save
keystrokes.

I posit that this is in fact the ideal and optimum way of doing things, and i
fully expect others to initially feel like i and glph did, only to come around
eventually.

I think the suggestion to have directory context-sensitive suggestions from
history is fantastic, maybe as simply as storing the context along with the
history item when acquired, and preferentially choosing suggestions from
history that match current context.

Regards,
Kris