On 9 April 2014 08:14, Kevin Ballard <ke...@sb.org> wrote:
>>> dangerous and surprising behavior to put into a terminal shell. For
>>> example, `rm f` should _never_ automatically invoke `rm f*`.
>>>
>>> -Kevin

Kevin's example was that he has previously deleted all files starting
with an f (which I've done on many occasions) and is now attempting to
remove a single file called f (which I've done on many occasions), but
your suggestion would cause fish to delete all files starting with an
f again - I think that perfectly illustrates why automatically
accepting suggestions in the shell is a really *really* bad idea.

>> hello,
>> i don't think you have that one either.
>>
>> rm -rf /<Enter>
>>
>> will execute 'rm /' in any shell anyway.

Whether intentional or not, his example was not that he has previously
attempted to recursively remove /, and your argument relies on the
system's rm command being the GNU version and defaulting to
--preserve-root, which is not always the case, and is only a
relatively new feature of GNU coreutils anyway.

-Ian
--
http://darkstarshout.blogspot.com
http://github.com/DarkStarSword