Harald JOHNSEN

> Ampere K. Hardraade wrote:
>
> > <>[...]As to /surface-positions, the properties inside this node can
> > allow one to see
>
> > <>the animations of others correctly.
>
> Displaying an animated aircraft won't be easy. Animation code in xml
> file is refering properties from
> the FG property tree (ie the user property tree) so we need a way to
> change some properties
> during the rendering of a MP aircraft. Perhaps can we do this with a
> temporary aliasing in the tree
> so that some branches point to the MP aircraft ?

Multiplayer models are already animated - gear goes up/down correctly. The
problem is that all models are controlled by the receiving player, not the
transmitting one. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.

> There is also some data/properties that can be guessed depending on the
> current 'action'.
> We can do a good guess of the different surface position for some
> standard manoeuvres.
> We can draw a smooth gear up/down animation without knowing the real
> value of
> /gear/gear[0]/position-norm for example, and if we were using this value
> it would be
> impossible to have a smooth animation because of the latency of the
> network.

Is this the right approach? Could we include e.g. the "gear up" command in a
message, and let the rx system sort it out? That's almost what happens now.
Smooth transitions already happen, but, as I said, under the control of the
rx player.

> In the future we could also consider to have one server handling all AI
> objects for the clients
> to have a coherent environment. Imagine that you are training landing on
> the Nimitz with
> your friends but the ship is at a different position on each client.
> This would be very weird.

Very good idea, and weather. I don't suppose clouds would be easy?

Vivian