On 12 Jun 2009, at 09:54, Melchior FRANZ wrote:

> And
> I intend to make all widget properties "live", so that one can,
> for instance, change the <x> component (and optionally re-layout
> the dialog), and see the widget move. It'll be nice to have live
> color changes and to see the total weight text in the payload
> dialog turn red on overload etc.

That would be a very useful feature yes !

>> I also hit problems trying to have PLIB notify the gui code
>> (and hence, Nasal script) when a text field lost focus - which
>> is a useful point to be able to 'commit' the contents and update
>> other UI state dynamically.
>
> Aren't <binding>s triggered then? Well, maybe not in all cases.
> I'll look into that.

I looked at it, and it seemed not, in this specific case, but I'm
inexperienced with the code - I'm reading the existing dialogs,
copying-pasting and trying to understand what I see (plus looking at
dialogs.cxx sometimes for backgound). Maybe this already works and I
just need to be shown an example.

>> Actually, if PLIB made it possible, the nicest thing would be a 'menu
>> about to open' script hook for the menus - which could then update
>> the
>> contents directly. That's something available in many widget systems,
>> but again I suspect it might be tricky with PLIB.
>
> The trickiness isn't so much the problem. It's more the question
> how much time we still want to invest in PLIB. But I see no problems
> submitting necessary changes to PLIB. Actually, I've sort-of become
> PLIB's gui maintainer already, anyway.  ;-)

Yeah, that last is very much a 'nice thing'. I'll let you decide how
to balance spending time on the PLIB GUI, since you know it better
than me (or anyone else, it sounds like).

I guess there is no chance of switching to osgWidgets in the near
future? I've not looked at how mature that code is or isn't yet.

James