Tim Moore wrote:
> Ron Jensen wrote:

>>> You've probably misunderstood 'fgviewer'. As far as I can tell, one of
>>> the ideas behind this nice tool had been to create a lightweight viewer
>>> component _without_ pulling in tons of inter-dependencies which are so
>>> omnipresent in FlightGear.
> I understand fgviewer well enough to know that it was buggy even without
> the effects code: various bits were subtly different from how things are
> done in fgfs. As far as lightweight goes, Ron has actually run the tool
> before giving his opinion. If you're worried about memory usage, well, I'm
> sure you've heard of demand paging, copy on write, and all that.

I'm pretty familiar with these topics, but memory usage is not the
point here (well, it probably is, but from the current perspective I
didn't care much). And when I was using the term "lightweight" I didn't
mean startup or load times either.

I understand the idea behind the 'fgviewer' tool as creating a distinct
viewer component (yet still in the early stage of development) which,
while still remaining compilant with the FlightGear environment, is
trying to adopt as little dependencies from FlightGear as possible and
therefore does not necessarily has to follow every rule of "how things
are done in fgfs" in order to achieve its fine goal.

Actually I'm convinced that carefully cutting some of the old ties
(some call them "cruft"), for example by keeping the viewer part as
independent from the FlightGear core as possible, might serve as a good
platform for future development. It's obvious that FlightGear, as every
visual simulation, has to depend on the viewer. But the opposite way of
depending the viewer part heavily on core FlightGear components is
certainly not going into the outlined direction.

Cheers,
        Martin.