On Feb 11, 2013, at 03:05 PM, ys <flightg...@sablonier.ch> wrote:

Hi James

I guess this forking would be possible with the cocoa and the svn patch, but I'm struggling with something different at the moment. Everything compiles fine against 10.5 but when I start flightgear I have no engine sound, and when engine sounds are activated fg hangs (no segfault). I can only startup with aircrafts that have no engines running (i.e. c172p or b1900), the others will crash flightgear and I get a simgear log entry that the associated wav files are corrupted or truncated. Ehrm, looking where this message is generated there are a lot of possibilities in your new wavreader ;-)

Can you give me any hint where this OpenAL sound problem could reside? Strange thing is that avionics sound works (i get some 'instrument beeps' in b1900 i.e.), only the engine is a problem. When I turn off sounds (switching off master in the GUI) everything works as expected, I get 30 fps without shaders and out of KSFO, keys are working etc. Maybe this is not related to 10.5 at all and there are some other important changes/patches for osx compilation I missed after alut nuke ?

To be honest I have no ideas - the WAV reading code is extremely simple, and copied directly from the ALUT sources - it's used everywhere - Windows, Linux and Mac, with no #ifdefs. So I can't imagine why some sounds would work and not others. Except, some of our beeps (morse code) are synthesised, not loaded from WAVs.

Some WAVs are stereo, but the code must handle this or every platform would die. Could it be an endian issue? PPC?

Ah, I wonder if I assumed PPC was gone, when porting the code? So you might need to add byte-swapping into the code, if __PPC__ is set.

James