50-Series (Solaris) boxes:

        All 50-Series based AWs and WPs (Solaris boxes) are X-Windows based.

        As a rule of thumb,
*       any X-Terminal package for a PC can be made to work and
*       Any application that runs on the WP/AW can be seen from a PC.

        However, the effort varies with the package. Common issues include:
*       Font management
*       Color palette management
*       Security

        Most of this material is covered in the following manuals:
        *       Display Engineering for 50 Series Workstations (B0193MQ)
        *       X Client/Server Support for 50 Series (B0193NV)
        *       FoxRemote and TCP/IP Network Integration Installation and
Configuration Guide (B0193VR)

        Our FoxRemote Product provides a variety of configurations in
support of this type of operation. It includes installation instructions,
supporting scripts, and, in some cases, hardware to fully leverage X-Windows
operation.

        Configuration 0 is for desktop operation. Configurations 1, 2, and 3
support dial-up access. Installation support is provided for Configurations
1, 2, and 3 by Field Service. The PSS is:

                FoxRemote III - Fast Remote Dial-Up Access for I/A Series
Model 51 (Solaris) Application Workstations and Workstation Processors PSS
21S-7A8 B3

70-Series (WinNT) boxes:

        The original MS OSs did not support multiple users per CPU/machine.
In the mid-nineties, Citrix (www.citrix.com <http://www.citrix.com> )
licensed the source code from MS for WinNT 3.5 Server (not Workstation).

        Citrix then enabled the multi-user support that had been written
into the code and enhanced that base to create an OEM product that was sold
to others. This enhanced product allowed multiple users to work on the
machine. It would give the user either his own desktop or a window to an
application, in other words, it gave WinNT 3.5 "X-Window like"
functionality.

        Things got interesting when V4.0 of NT was released. MS told Citrix
that they were not licensed to update V4.0. It seems that the OEMs sold
their package for about 5K, Citrix sold it to them for about 3K, and MS sold
it to Citrix for 150 USD.

        After some struggles (legal and commercial), MS and Citrix created a
new version of NT called: Windows NT Server: Terminal Server Edition. This
was the first official MS support for multiple users on a machine.

        The developers of the 70-Series of equipment had chosen to use WinNT
Workstation as the basis for our offering because of its lower price point.
However, there was no multi-user version of WinNT Workstation. Therefore, we
developed the Server 70 products. There are two: The Server 70 AW and the
Server 70 WP.

        The main difference between these and the "regular" AW-70 and WP-70
is that they run WinNT:TSE and can support multiple users.

        This is our offering to allow the FV graphics and the Alarm Manager
to be available on the desktop in a similar fashion to what comes on all of
our Solaris boxes.

        The PSS sheets for these products are:

                PSS 21S-1B4 B3: Server 70 Software Overview Windows NT
Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
                PSS 21H-4U5 B4: Server 70, Style C Windows NT Server 4.0,
Terminal Server Edition

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Alex Johnson