You didn't say if the images are local or on a network. Local may load
quicker.

Have you considered a newer Mac OS, perhaps on a newer Mac, with
appropriate Parallels and Windows versions?

One other strategy, if the graphics are large, might be creating a
directory of low-resolution display versions, and swapping them when needed
for printing.

HTH