On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com> wrote:
> Opera 10.1. Video & FLASH I don't need. My computer isn't used as an
> entertainment center. The web needs a steady unchanging format that you can
> depend on.
> One day a web site works and the next it doesn't. Just a big pain.

Flash requires the Adobe Flash Player plugin.  If it's not installed,
Flash won't happen.

HTML5 is *not* your problem.  Bandwidth is.  You're on dial up, and
flash and video both require bandwidth you don't have. (They also
require system resources.  I have an ancient notebook multi-booting
Win2K and Linux.  I don't even try to play Flash video.  I see a
series of still pictures.  The old box has a 767mhz CPU and 256MB RAM,
and just doesn't have the power to handle the demands.)

I strongly suspect lack of bandwidth is also what bites you on sites
that work one day and fail the next.  It's in the interest of web
sites to be accessible, and most sites of any size are careful about
changes that may break things for users.  I have broadband.  I see
occasional instances of sites working one day and not the next, and
bandwidth is the issue.  *My* bandwidth is fine.  *They* don't have
sufficient bandwidth from their host, and my attempt to connect times
out.  But those are all smaller and largely hobbyist sites, operating
on a shoestring.

The issue you are facing is that broadband is increasingly prevalent,
and most sites assume the user will have broadband and a relatively
current browser supporting current standards.  It's a fair assumption
because most users *do* have those things.  There simply aren't enough
who don't to justify the effort needed to accommodate them.

Like I said, the web won't hold still for you, but HTML5 is not your problem.

> cheers
> DS
______
Dennis